We have added a new members only video page. To view, log in or register above.
Local images reproduced by kind permission from Kevin Milner
Images are copyright
WRECK OF THE "FAIRPLAY II"
The steam tug "Fairplay II" was wrecked on Redcar’s Salt Scar Rocks on 2nd March 1940; the previous year she had been requisitioned by the Admiralty to serve as a rescue vessel.
The incident occurred in thick fog and all the 19 crew were rescued.
Built in Hamburg in 1922 she sailed under a German flag until 1938 when she was registered under a British flag by owners the Fairplay Towage and Shipping Company Ltd of London. At the commencement of WW II she was taken over by the Royal Navy for what transpired to be short service.
She carried no armament, had a displacement of 282 tons and her
1 X 3 cylinder triple expansion engine with a single boiler produced 111nhp. Propulsion was via a single shaft and 1 screw.
Today there is little left of the Fairplay II and the remains, (bow and boiler dry at springs) lie on the edge of Batt Height at 54° 37' 631N 001° 03' 063W
on a bearing of 43° magnetic from the lifeboat slipway.